About Attorney William C. Makler
William C. Makler has 20 years of experience working in both the State and Federal criminal justice systems (both as a lawyer and a member of law enforcement). He is an accomplished trial attorney and very experienced defending nearly every kind of criminal charge (e.g., assaults, batteries, DUI's, Domestic Violence, Drug Sales & Possession, Gun Crimes, Homicides, Sex Crimes, Thefts, as well as all varieties of alcohol offenses including, MIP's, Fake ID's, Furnishing Alcohol to Minors, and Public Intoxications).
Mr. Makler has defended as many as 2,000 DUI defendants on the Central Coast and elsewhere and, in so doing, he has achieved mastery in every aspect of DUI defense including, but not limited to, jury trials and DMV hearings. Mr. Makler is former member of the faculty of the Santa Barbara & Ventura College of the Law teaching Evidence (2006-8).
Mr. Makler is licensed to practice law in all the courts of the State of California, and the Eastern and Central Federal Districts Courts of California. He is a graduate of the University of California at San Diego and McGeorge School of Law.
He has worked for the University of California Police as well the Palo Alto Police, the American Civil Liberties Union and Death Penalty Focus. He has worked as a courtroom litigator and research attorney for the Federal Public Defender in Sacramento and was a Felony Deputy Public Defender for both the Santa Barbara and Santa Cruz County Public Defenders.
Mr. Makler is an active member in good standing, and with no disciplinary history, of the California Bar Association, the California Public Defenders Association, the Santa Barbara Criminal Defense Bar Association, the National College for DUI Defense, Inc. and California DUI Lawyers Association. To read commentary by Mr. Makler on a variety of criminal justice topics, visit his Santa Barbara Lawyer Blog.
- "Know Your Rights", Embarcadero Hall, Hosted by Associated Students at UCSB, October, 2004.
- "DUI Defense", Santa Barbara College of Law, Guest Lecture, Summer 2005.
- "Scientific Evidence in DUI Defense", Santa Barbara College of Law, guest lecture in Advanced Evidence, Fall 2005.
- "Avoiding and Minimizing DUI Consequences", Bench & Bar Conference, given at Santa Barbara City College for MCLE credit for lawyers and judges, January 2006.
- “Law of Evidence”, Santa Barbara College of Law, Law School Course, October, 2006 – May, 2008.
- "Know Your Rights", Embarcadero Hall, Hosted by Associated Students at UCSB, October, 2007.
- "Know Your Rights", Embarcadero Hall, Hosted by Associated Students at UCSB, October, 2008.
- "Know Your Rights", Embarcadero Hall, Hosted by Associated Students at UCSB, October, 2009.
- “DUI From a Defense Perspective”, Santa Barbara College of Law, guest lecture in a course on the law of Driving Under the Influence, July 2010.
Call us now at (805) 892-4922 for a free, no obligation consultation, or fill in your information in the contact form to the right and Mr. Makler will get back to you as soon as possible, frequently within a few minutes.